1. Gratitude – start each day with an attitude of gratitude. Be thankful for who and what you have in your life. Be thankful that is another day in your life, giving you the opportunity to make it what you want.
2. Opportunity – today is your day, what is the one thing you can do today to make a difference? It doesn’t have to be anything big. Sow some seeds today and reap the rewards later. What project have you been thinking about? Is there one step you can do today? What relationship is troubling you? What one thing can you do or say today that would make a difference?
3. Perspective – not all days are created equal. We have good days and bad days just as there are good times and bad times. Life is a rollercoaster. Just notice where you are right now. Even if you are on the downhill slope, just know that you will be on the ‘up’ again soon. Things can always be better… and they can always be worse.
4. Do what you can do and do it well – whatever you need to do today, give it your full energy and attention. You can curse and swear silently at some things you need to do but you need to do them anyhow. Why not bring your energy and patience / humour / wisdom to it and it will take less effort ? You won’t expend as much energy if you do it with a smile.
5. Have real conversations – for everyone you meet today, be real with them. Listen to them. Speak honestly. Don’t just rush through ‘doing’ things all day. Have real connections with people and get more out of your day.
6. Emotions – just notice where you are today. There is no right and wrong. If you are down, why not tell those around you. They may have noticed anyhow. If you talk about it they will understand and from there you get support. If you have children in the house, it teaches them to label and talk about their feelings which is very positive for them.
7. Bigger picture – day to day routine can bog us down. Take stock of bigger picture. What are your bigger plans for you for the year ahead? Remember that 40% of our happiness comes from having personal goals. Do something, no matter how small, in that bucket for yourself today!
8. Blend – what is your day made up of ? Do you have some ‘me’ time ? Each day should give you some time for yourself to do what you want and make sure some is to relax.
9. Notice Nature – being out in nature can be very calming and soothe or soul in this busy world. Plan to get a nature fix each day or just pay more attention to nature when you are out and about.
10. Detox – Don’t watch the news or read the news before you go to bed – that includes the phone too. In fact, leave the phone away and learn to go to sleep without your “bed-time phonies”. Break the habit of checking all your apps before you sleep.